To apply concentrated member loads
To assign concentrated member forces or moments to the currently selected members, use the following procedure.
- Select the members which will all have the same concentrated loads applied.
Member ribbon tab, select one of the following
tools in the
Apply point loads along the length of a member using the Add Member Concentrated Load dialog.
Apply concentrated moments along the length of a member using the Add Member Concentrated Moment dialog.
- Select the Load group or case to which the load will be added from the drop-down list.
- Select the Direction in which the loads are applied. For concentrated forces, this is the direction along which the force acts. For concentrated moments, this is the axis about which the moment acts.
- (Optional) Check the As a percentage box to input distances as a percentage of the overall member length.
Enter the load magnitude and location values:
- Click the Loads drop-down. A table opens to enter the values.
- For each concentrated load or moment, type the magnitude and distance. Negative values may be entered for magnitude of Load or Moment.
- (Optional) For concentrated forces, type a transverse distance value to apply the load through a point other than the shear center. This eccentric loading results in a moment in addition to force.
- Click OK The dialog closes and the member concentrated load is added to the load group.
You can edit point load values for the current load group or load case by selecting the Point loads tool in the Member group on the Spreadsheet ribbon tab.
You can edit concentrated moment values for the current load group or load case by selecting the Concentrated Moments tool in the Member group on the Spreadsheet ribbon tab.