M. To add an ASCE 7 wind load definition
To populate the wind intensity table with values calculated per ASCE 7, use the following procedure.
These steps are performed when adding a wind load definition in the Add New: Wind Definitions dialog.
- In the Load & Definition dialog, select the entry and then click Add. The Add new: Wind Definition dialog opens.
Select one of the following options from the Code
- ASCE 7: 1995
- ASCE 7: 2002
- ASCE 7: 2010
- ASCE 7: 2016
- Click Add. The definition type is added to the entry in the Load & Definition dialog.
- In the Load & Definition dialog, select the new wind definition type and click the Add. The Add New: Wind Definitions dialog opens. The dialog now displays the Intensity and Exposures tabs.
- Click Generate. The ASCE-7: Wind Load dialog opens.
On the Common tab, enter the general code and site information:
- Select the year (edition) of ASCE-7 code.
- Select the Building Classification Category.
- Type the Basic Wind Speed in the selected units.
- Select the Exposure Category.
- Select the Structure Type that best describes your structure.
- For ASCE 7-16, type the Height Above Sea Level of the base of the structure and select the appropriate units of length for this input.
- (オプション) If you need to Consider wind speed-up over Hills or Enscarpment, select the Yes option and then provide the rise type and dimensions
- Click Apply.
Select the second tab and enter the structure data:
- Type the structure dimensions.
- Select the structure cross-section type (where applicable).
- Select the orientation of members exposed to wind (where applicable).
- Select the shape of exposed structural members (where applicable).
- Type the Structure Natural Frequency. When the natural frequency is less than 1 Hz, the structure is considered "flexible" when calculating the gust effect factor, G. When the natural frequency is greater than or equal to 1 Hz, then the structure is considered "rigid" when calculating the gust effect factor.
- Type the Structure Damping Ratio.
- Select the Enclosure Classification (where applicable).
- (オプション) Select any combination of the Use Kzt, Use Kd, Use Kz, or Use Ke options to manually type values for these coefficients. The calculated coefficients are otherwise used.
- Select the Design Pressure tab. The height vs. intensity data calculated for the current input is displayed here.
- (オプション) You can check the options for Use G and Use Cf to manually type values for these coefficients. The calculated coefficients are otherwise used.
- Click OK. The dialog closes and the wind intensity at height data is added to the table on the Intensity tab.