T.2 Specifying geometric constants
You need to orient member 4 so that its longer edges (sides parallel to local Y axis) are parallel to the global Z axis. This requires applying a beta angle of 90 degrees.
In the absence of any explicit instructions, STAAD.Pro will orient the beams and columns of the structure in a predefined way. Orientation refers to the directions along which the width and depth of the cross section are aligned with respect to the global axis system. The rules which dictate this default orientation are explained in General Engineering Theory.
BETA 90 MEMB 4
- Select the Properties page in the Analytical Modeling page control bar. The Properties dialog opens.
- On the Properties dialog, select the Beta Angle tab.
- Click Create Beta Angle.
- Type 90 in the Angle in Degrees field.
- Click OK. The property Beta 90 is added to the beta angles list.
- Select the property Beta 90.
- Assign the beta angle to member 4:
- To view the orientation of the member local axes: