D. AS 3600 Column Design Principles
Design has been carried out based on the code provisions in AS 3600-2001. Steel Strength reduction factors are taken from Table 2.3. Characteristic strength of materials are used based on section 6
- Design procedure carried out based on clause 10.2, 10.2.1 and 10.2.3.
- Short column design based on 10.3
- Design of slender columns based on 10.4
- Minimum bending moment not less than N* times 0.05D, where D is the overall depth of the column in the plane of the bending moment.
- Radius of gyration may be taken as 0.3D, where D is the overall dimension in the direction in which stability is being considered and for circular cross-section, r may be taken as 0.25D.
- Biaxial bending and compression based on clause 10.6.5
Reinforcement requirements for columns : 10.7.1 Limitations on longitudinal steel :
- less than 0.01Ag
- Not exceed 0.04Ag