M. To add an IBC 2006 response spectrum
To specify a response spectrum for seismic loading per the IBC 2006 / ASCE 7-05 codes, use the following procedure.
Tip: This will add the load item to the currently selected load group selected in the program status bar.
- Select the Response Spectrum tab.
- Select IBC 2006/ASCE 7-05 in the Code list.
- Specify the IBC 2006 / ASCE 7-05 specific parameters:
- Select the Combination Method to use to combine the responses from each mode into a total response.
Save option to create a file contain the joint
accelerations in ratios of gravity and in radians/sec2.
The file name is saved in the same location as the STAAD input file, will have the same root filename as the STAAD input file but with an .acc file extension.
Select if the
Interpolation Type is
The logarithmic option is recommended when only a few spectra data points are entered, as spectra vs period curves are typically only linear on a log-log scale.
- Select the Damping Type to use and, if explicit Damping is selected, type the damping ratio to be used for all modes.
- Select the directions which spectrum is applied and for each, type a factor (0-1.0).
You can apply each of the following optional steps as needed:
Select one of the
Signed Response Spectrum Results Options
check Dominant and type a Mode No to use for determine the signs of all modes. You can alternatively type 0 for the Mode No to have the program select the mode with the greatest percent participation in the excitation direction for the dominant mode.
- To generate individual modal response load cases, check the Generate load case(s) for first option and then type the number of load cases to generate. You can also type the Load Case number to use for the first of the generated load cases. If the number of load cases requested is larger than the number of modes extracted, then only the number of modes extracted is used.
- Type a Scale factor to apply to the spectra data.
- Check the Missing Mass option to include the static effect of masses not represented in the modes. Type an optional spectral acceleration for this missing mass mode.
- If the Missing Mass option is used and you want to specify an acceleration corresponding to a frequency instead, check the ZPA option and type a frequency. If neither the missing mass acceleration value or ZPA frequency is specified, then the spectral acceleration at 33Hz is used to calculate the missing mass mode.
- Select one of the Signed Response Spectrum Results Options if needed:
- Click Add. The new response spectrum is added to the currently selected load case.