D. Rules for Forming Members
To form a member, the following rules must be obeyed.
- All elements must form a single continuous line. But they do not have to form a straight line. Thus curved members may be formed.
- There must be a free end. Whilst curved members are allowed, they cannot form a closed loop.
- All elements must have the same beta angle.
- All elements must point in the same direction. Check with the orientation labels if necessary. Use the reverse element command on elements that point the wrong way.
- None of the elements can be part of another member.
- The section properties must be consistent at each element end. Elements can taper along their length, but where one element ends and the next starts, they must have the same section reference.
- All elements must be made from the same material.