D. To perform seismic design and detailing per EC8
To perform seismic design and detailing checks per Eurocode 8, use the following procedure.
- Select the Earthquake tab. The Collapse Check Setup dialog opens.
- Select EC8 - 2004 from the Design Code list. Currently, only the UK Annex is available.
Ductility level of the structure:
- DCM - Medium ductility
- DCH - High ductility
- Select the Earthquake load case containing seismic loads for use with design checks.
- Specify the Structural Type in the list. Refer to the code for descriptions of each type.
- Check the option to Check reinforcement detailing rules for ductility if applicable.
- Specify a Curvature ductility factor to be used for column checks. If not specified, the default value is taken as unity (1).
- Click Check Now. The program performs the design and detailing checks.
To help identify issues in design or detailing, if one step of checks fails for a member, further checks will not be performed on that member.
The program will first check that all materials in the design brief are satisfactory. Then, moment capacity of beams and columns are evaluated and compared. EC8 stipulates that columns must have a moment capacity of 1.30 times the sum of the moment capacity of beams framing at that joint. This ensures beams are the initial failure mode.