Using Wildcards in Material Assignments
When you enter level/color assignments for materials via the Material Editor or the Material Assignments dialogs, you can use wildcards in the assignment. Level/color assignments are specified as LevelRange : ColorRange. Currently, the only wildcard character supported is the asterisk "*".
You can specify colors individually, separated by commas, or as a range separated with a hyphen. For colors, the wildcard character matches all colors. For colors, wildcard and non-wildcard characters cannot be combined, the wildcard takes precedence.
Level Name Wildcards
You can specify levels individually, separated by commas, or as a range separated with a hyphen. For levels, the wildcard character "*" matches zero or more characters, as shown in the following examples:
- 1, 5, 7–13 : * matches all colors on levels numbered 1, 5, and 7 through 13.
- w* matches levels wall, window and west entrance.
- w*n* matches levels window and west entrance.
- *oor matches door and floor.
- *oor* matches door, floor and doorknobs.
Multiple wildcards can be entered on the same line, such as:
Where conflicting assignments occur, more qualified assignments override less qualified assignments. For example:
- wa* : 22 has precedence over w* : 22. In other words, levels starting with wa would match the first assignment, and all other levels starting with w would match the second.
- wall : 22 has precedence over w* : 22. In other words, levels named wall would match the first assignment, and all other levels starting with w would match the second.