Creating and Using Custom Folders
Custom folders are like collections of datasource favorites or bookmarks, where you can store links to the projects, folders, and/or documents you work on most often, or those that you want to keep track of. For example, you might want to add a link to a document that you are working on. Whenever you want to check it out, you can just go to your custom folder and check it out, without have to search for it or remember which folder contains it. Or maybe there is a project you are managing; you can add a link to the project in your custom folder, and then manage it directly from the custom folder.
Custom folders and their contents are stored under the main Custom Folders folder, which displays in the datasource tree in ProjectWise Explorer if your administrator has turned this option on in your user settings ( ) . Under the main Custom Folders folder you may see these items:
- Personal Folders — This the custom folder where you add links to the projects, folders, and/or documents that you personally are working on or want to keep track of. Only you can see the contents of this custom folder, unless the administrator has given another user or administrator permission to see the contents of this folder. You can also create subfolders here, if you need to group certain linked objects together. When the main Custom Folders folder is displayed, the Personal Folders folder will always be available to you.
- Global Folders — This is the custom folder where the administrator adds links to projects, folders, and/or documents for everyone to see and work on. Only users who have permission to see Global Folders will see this item in their Custom Folders.
- Folders of Other Users — This is the custom folder where you can see the personal folders of other users, if your administrator has given you permission to see them. Like Global Folders, only users who have permission to see Folders of Other Users will see this item in their Custom Folders.
To Create a Custom Folder
- Under Custom Folders, select Personal Folders, Global Folders, or Folders of Other Users.
Select Folder > Create.
The Create Custom Folder dialog opens.
Enter a name and optional description for your custom folder and click OK.
The dialog closes and the new folder displays under the selected custom folder (Personal Folders, Global Folders, or Folders of Other Users).
To Open a Custom Folder in a New Window
To Modify a Custom Folder
To Delete a Custom Folder
To Add a Link to a Folder or Work Area to a Custom Folder
To Add a Link to a Document to a Custom Folder
To Add a Web Page URL to a Custom Folder
Select a custom folder and select Folder > Add URL.
The Add URL dialog opens.
- In the first field, enter a descriptive name for the web page. For example, Bentley Systems
Do one of the following:
Copy the URL of the web page from your Internet browser and paste it into the URL field. For example, http://www.bentley.com/en-US/
If the web page is located on a web server on your network, you can click Browse and navigate to the HTML page to open.
The URL displays in the selected custom folder.
Click the URL.
The web page displays in the document list.