Adding Work Area Connections to ProjectWise Web
A work area connection is a link between a work area and a ProjectWise project that exposes the work area and its contents inside the ProjectWise Web portal of that ProjectWise project. In short, when you want to access work area content from ProjectWise Web, you need to add a work area connection to the ProjectWise Web portal of your ProjectWise project.
To add a work area connection to ProjectWise Web, you can either manually create the work area connection directly from ProjectWise Web, or you can configure a setting in ProjectWise Administrator so that whenever a work area is associated to a ProjectWise project from ProjectWise Explorer, that work area is automatically exposed in the ProjectWise Web portal of that ProjectWise project. Whichever method you choose, the end result is the same - a work area connection is added to the ProjectWise Web portal of your ProjectWise project.
Work Area Connection Requirements
Creating and using a work area connection requires the following external configuration:
- ProjectWise Design Integration Server
ProjectWise Design Integration Server (or servers) must be set up and running and your datasource (or datasources) must be fully-configured. See ProjectWise Design Integration Server Configuration.
- Bentley IMS Authentication
The datasource that you plan to use to create a work area connection must have Bentley IMS authentication / single sign-on enabled:
- Bentley Web Services Gateway (WSG) and the ProjectWise Plug-in
Bentley Web Services Gateway and the ProjectWise plug-in must be set up and running and configured to access the datasources on your ProjectWise Design Integration Server (or servers). See Deploying the ProjectWise Plug-in for Bentley Web Services Gateway.
- Access to
In order for users to be able to log in with their Bentley IMS account, an outbound rule that allows access to https://ims.bentley.com/ must be added to every firewall between Bentley Web Services Gateway and https://ims.bentley.com/.
- CORS Configuration
Part of setting up Bentley Web Services Gateway (step 3 above) for ProjectWise Web involves configuring Bentley Web Services Gateway to allow cross-origin resource sharing (CORS) requests coming from ProjectWise Web, integrated Office for the web, and PDF Markup. This means that you must enter the URL of each of these services (separate each URL with a comma) when you are deploying Bentley Web Services Gateway (in the deployment wizard):
For this service Enter this URL Purpose ProjectWise Web https://connect-projectwisewac.bentley.com Required to create and open work area connections.
When this is configured and you go to ProjectWise Web and click Manage Connections > New Connection and enter the address of your Bentley Web Services Gateway deployment in the Server URL field, it will return a list of ProjectWise datasources that Bentley Web Services Gateway has access to (it will not return a list of datasources if this is not configured; also you will not be able to open a work area connection if this URL is later removed).
integrated Office for the web https://connect-mswopiclient.bentley.com Required to open Office documents in Office for the web (users will get an error when they try to open an Office document from ProjectWise Web, if this is not configured). PDF Markup https://connect-pdfmarkup.bentley.com Required to markup PDF documents using the PDF Markup service (users can still open PDFs are read-only in the PDF Markup service, even if this is not configured). older work area connections (those created in old ProjectWise Web / ProjectWise Share) https://projectshareportal.bentley.com Required to open older work area connections.
If you have already deployed Bentley Web Services Gateway and the ProjectWise plug-in and you need to add these URLs, you can either manually edit the web.config file for this deployment, or you can just redeploy Bentley Web Services Gateway (recommended) to the same website and append these URLs to the CORS list of allowed URLs when you get to that page of the deployment wizard. For example:
- Bentley Web Services Gateway must be public facing if your users need to do either of the following:
Requirements for Opening Office Documents
In order for a user to be able to open Office documents in Office for the web, the following must ALL be true:
- Bentley IMS authentication / single sign-on must be enabled in the ProjectWise datasource
- Bentley Web Services Gateway must have access to https://ims.bentley.com
- Bentley Web Services Gateway must be configured to allow CORS requests from this integrated Office for the web URL: https://connect-mswopiclient.bentley.com
- Bentley Web Services Gateway must be public facing
- The user opening the Office document must be logged in to the work area connection with a Bentley IMS account
- The user must have a Microsoft Office 365 subscription
Requirements for Marking Up PDFs
Creating a Work Area Connection
- Go to the CONNECT Center (https://connect.bentley.com/) and enter your ProjectWise project.
- Click the ProjectWise Web Connections tile to enter ProjectWise Web.
- Click the Connections icon (upper left) to expand the Connections tab.
- After the last connection in the list, click Manage Connections.
- At the top of the Manage ProjectWise Connections page, click New Connection.
- In the
Create New Connection window,
configure the following:
- Connection Name - Enter a name for the connection.
- Server URL - Enter the URL address of where Bentley Web Services Gateway is deployed (for example, https://<server_name>/ws), where <server_name> is the name of the computer on which Bentley Web Services Gateway is installed (for example, maestrovm.bentley.com), and ws is the name that was given to the virtual directory that Bentley Web Services Gateway and the ProjectWise plug-in were deployed to.
- Get Datasource - Click Get Datasource after you enter the Bentley Web Services Gateway address. This populates the Datasource list mentioned in the next step.
- Datasource - Select the datasource that contains the work area you want to make a connection to.
Work Area - Select the work area from the
selected datasource that you want to make a connection to.
The Work Area list displays all of the work areas in the datasource. If this ProjectWise project already contains a connection to a work area in this datasource, then that work area will not be listed.
- Description - (Optional) Enter a description of this connection. The name of the datasource is used as the description if no description is entered.
- When finished, click Connect.
Configuring Work Area Connections To Be Created Automatically
You can also configure work area connections to be created automatically when a work area is associated to a ProjectWise project, by configuring the datasource setting in ProjectWise Administrator called WSG Work Areas URL for Connect services. In this setting, you specify the URL of the Bentley Web Services Gateway (which includes the path to the on-premise ProjectWise Design Integration Server and datasource). Once this URL is configured, then associating a work area to a ProjectWise project automatically creates the work area connection in the ProjectWise Web portal of the associated ProjectWise project.
Configuring the Bentley Web Services Gateway URL:
- To find the first part of
the URL, open the WSG Explorer on the server where
Bentley Web Services Gateway is installed.
To open the WSG Explorer, in a web browser enter: https://WSGservername/ws/Pages/WsgExplorer.aspx (for example, https://maestrovm.bentley.com/ws/Pages/WsgExplorer.aspx)
- In the WSG Explorer window that opens, on the Navigation tree tab, expand Repositories, then select the datasource you are configuring.
- In the WSG Explorer address bar, select the full URL that includes the datasource as shown here, then right-click and select Copy.
- In ProjectWise Administrator, paste this URL into the datasource setting, WSG Work Areas URL for Connect services.
- At the end of the pasted
URL, append this text:
The full URL is now something like this:
Make sure you use the fully qualified domain name when entering the Bentley Web Services Gateway and ProjectWise server names.
This example shows the full URL, when the Bentley Web Services Gateway and ProjectWise servers are installed on the same computer:
Once the Bentley Web Services Gateway URL is configured, then associating a work area to a ProjectWise project in ProjectWise Explorer will automatically add the work area connection to the ProjectWise Web portal of the associated ProjectWise project.
Re-creating a Deleted Work Area Connection from ProjectWise Explorer
If a work area connection ever gets deleted from ProjectWise Web, and the work area is still associated to the ProjectWise project, use the following steps to re-create the connection from ProjectWise Explorer.