This section provides a list of new features in Bentley OpenSite, OpenRoads, and OpenRail Designer CONNECT Edition products, also referred to as OpenX Designer products. Features that are only available in specific products are appropriately noted as such.
The following summarizes the new features and fixes in 2020 Release 3.
- Update of Power Platform to Edition (V10.14.04.04), Bentley Descartes CONNECT Edition (V10.14.04.04) and Bentley GenerativeComponents CONNECT Edition (V10.14.04.04).
- Includes OpenFlows SewerGEMS version 10.03.01.08. For additional information refer to: OpenFlows: What's New.
- Includes Bentley LumenRT Designer CONNECT Edition Update 14.
- Update of gINT Civil Tools CONNECT Edition (V10.07.01.03).
- Support for following ProjectWise Connect Edition (V10.00.03.334) and (V10.00.03.4xx).
- MicroStation task navigation interface capability has been added to UI allowing to switch from Ribbon to task-based navigations. Task navigation is for legacy support of MicroStation tools and does not include support for OpenX Connect Edition tools.
- iTwin Synchronizer & iTwin Design Review has been added.
- Visualization Content is included as optional feature in the installer.
- MicroStation based clash detection tool is included under Drawing>Analyze, note this is only available when in a 3D model.
- Downgrade Civil Model tool on the backstage allows the ability downgrade OpenX DGN files to a previous version or as a plain MicroStation DGN. (OpenX-Technology Preview)
- Civil File Manager has replaced Version Checker. Civil File Manager allows for variety of file management of OpenX Designer DGN files. This application is located at: C:\Program Files\Bentley\OpenX Designer CONNECT Edition\OpenRoadsDesigner\CivilFileManager.exe.
- Added the ability to report station and offset of Item Types on 3D elements such as meshes.
- Update standards tool supports updates from the item type library.
- Dynamic Plan view allows to navigate along an alignment and automatically rotate view normal to current station and exaggerate in X and Y axis.
- Icons have been updated for the Activate and Deactivate rules.
- All rail spiral types are supported when exporting to DWG format.
- A configuration variable has been added that defines the path where images files are located for survey data processing, CIVIL_SURVEY_PHOTOS_FOLDER.
- Added the capability to define feature definition(s) to geometry during import.
- Reporting for tangent direction now indicates if it is the Forward (Ahead) or Backwards (Back) tangent.
- Rail Parameters have been added to Design File Settings.
- Regression line is now also used as slew line, reducing the clutter in the plan view.
- Fixed and information regression point types are added.
- Import Topo tool allows the creation of terrain model from ESRI, USGS, and SRTM. Importing from ESRI service requires an ESRI account. (OpenX-Technology Preview)
- Copy Template tool has been enhanced to allow copying Corridor templates from one corridor to another.
- Added ability to calculate multiple substratum layers with earthwork quantification with the Create Cut Fill Tool.
- Template Library file (*.itl) now prompts user for checkout from ProjectWise if available. If the file is already checked out, one can enter the template library and perform a Save As.
- Properties and quick properties display the Volume Option of a mesh for quick identification.
- Corridor Modeling tools that require a corridor to be selected now allows the picking of the corridor in the 3D model by selecting a corridors mesh or 3d linear geometry.
- The corridor Clipping Reference object now identifies if the clip is 2D or 3D clip.
- Create Closed Mesh tool allows the creation of a mesh from corridors, linear templates, terrain models, and meshes.
- Feature Definitions with a Custom Volume option can specify if Fill is or is not included in the Mass Ordinate.
- Corridors processed in 2020 Release 3 include metadata on mesh and 3D linear graphics. This metadata is used for increase performance for a variety of tools including the Cross Section Grade Report and Cross Section annotations.
- A key-in for Process All has been added, GEOMETRY PROCESSALLOBJECTS.
- Cant dialog is simplified, additional parameters are added to Design File Settings. (OpenRail)
Drawing Production and Annotation
- Named boundary and sheet creation tools support selection sets for bulk creation of plans, profiles and cross sections on multiple geometries.
- Ability to name Saved Views, Named Boundaries, and Sheet Models has been added.
- Vertical change in Plan annotations are now supported.
- Cross Section Grade Report has enhanced filtering abilities and optimized performance.
- Ability to automatically trim profile vertical grid lines by the existing ground line has been added.
- Survey chains can be annotated on cross section sheets.
- Ability to label elevation along a plan view element with a profile at an even interval.
- Cross Section sheets can be cut looking down station, "backwards facing".
- The key-in PLACELABEL TOOL OPEN has been added for Place Label tool.
- Added the ability to annotate Rail cant in plan. (OpenRail)
- Additional rotation options are added to turnout annotation, for cell-based representation of turnouts. (OpenRail)
- New plan cant annotation definitions are added. (OpenRail) New vertical change in plan annotation definitions are added.
- New cab definitions are added to 3D Drive Through tool
Drainage and Utilities
- A new Critical Storm Analysis Wizard gives the ability to easily run a number of storm events on a system, and identifies the worst-case storm for every conduit or node - without having to create the scenarios first. This makes it much easier to test a system that has been designed using the Rational method.
- A series of nodes can now be placed at an interval along a linear element.
- Place Node now lets you state that the elevation reference is for the node invert, instead of the cover or ground. This is useful when placing endwalls in a ditch.
- Place Node now lets you extract an irregular cross section from the elevation reference.
- Place Node now lets you place a tap node in a conduit.
- Added the OpenFlows batch pipe split functionality, that automatically inserts nodes in conduits if they are within an offset tolerance.
- An option has been added to list all conduits that are missing a start or stop node.
- Properties that have civil rules are now displayed in Utility Properties as read only.
- Properties for the largest and smallest conduits connected to a drainage node have been added.
- The ability to only draw "whole" conduits on profile sheet has been added. This will force the subsequent conduit to be placed on the next profile sheet.
- The profile manipulator for conduit slope can now display the OpenFlows value, if this is selected in Design File Settings.
- The road cross slope for a catch basin can now be read from a terrain model.
- Added support for UK Flood Estimation Handbook 2013 Rainfall Data.
- Loading of reference files containing drainage and utilities database occurs automatically when the active file also contains a database. This will allow the exposure of reference drainage and utilities properties and the ability to annotate them across reference files.
- ModelBuilder now supports the Node Rotation property when importing and exporting data. This has caused a change to the way that the Node Rotation value is set. If you have existing design files containing nodes that use a relative rotation, the value needs to be reset before you compute the hydraulics and hydrology. To do this, select each node, and use its manipulator to change the value - either very slightly, or change it, then change it back.