To take advantage of the values of CONNECTED, users must be registered and signed in, CONNECTED projects must be available and CONNECT Edition/Service products must be used to associate product work with CONNECTED Projects.
Register as a CONNECTED User
If you have ever signed in to the Bentley SELECT site to download a product, submit a service ticket or sign up for a webinar then you are already registered to use the CONNECT services. Proceed to the Sign-In section for information on how to sign in. If you have not signed in to Bentley for any reason, you can register yourself for free through one of two ways:
- CONNECTION Client Sign-In Window: If you have installed any CONNECT Edition/Services product then you have installed a CONNECTION client. This client shows up as an icon on your taskbar.
- Double-click the icon or on the icon to expose the CONNECTION client Sign-in Screen.
- Select the Register link on the window. The Create Profile Window opens. Here you provide the details for your account paying particular note to your Work Email and Profession (Role). The former will impact the users that will be considered part of an organization and the latter will impact services and notifications you receive that will be particular to your role. After completing this screen, you will be sent to the Bentley IMS profile page to set password and other information as you desire.
- Log in directly from the Bentley website from https://ims.bentley.com. Doing this will send you to a sign-in web page where once again you can select the Register link to enter your profile information and password assignments.
Sign-In as a CONNECTED User
Once you have registered as a CONNECTED User, you can proceed to sign-in. Sign-in can be performed from one of three places:
- CONNECTION Client Sign-In Window:
- Product CONNECT Widget Sign-In: Each CONNECT Edition product has a new CONNECTION Widget in the frame of the product window. Most products have this widget on the upper right or status bar of the window. Select the widget drop down and choose the Sign In command to display the CONNECTION client Sign In window. Follow the direction as provided above for the CONNECTION client.
- Log in directly from the Bentley website (https://ims.bentley.com).
Register a Project
A fundamental requirement of CONNECT is the creation of projects. Only users with "Project Manager" and "Administrator" level roles on their profile are allowed to create projects. Contact your account administrator to add projects or assign you rights to add projects yourself (see Managing User Rights). Projects are typically added to the Bentley registry for your company through any of the links on the Project Portal, Personal Portal or Project Chooser Dialog window.
Register Project from Project Portal:
- The CONNECTION client shows up as an icon on your taskbar. Right-Click on , and select . This opens the Projects Portal Screen.
- Select Register a Project to add a new project (see Managing User Rights if you do not have the rights to add a project). Important: The project attributes should be entered accurately to obtain the greatest value from CONNECT. Content, recommendation and insight services in the future will be based specifically on the Asset type, industry and location.
- Register Project from Personal Portal: The CONNECTION client shows up as an icon on your taskbar. Right-Click on , and select . This opens the Personal Portal Screen.
- Register Project from Project Chooser Window: The project Chooser window is accessible from the menu bar in CONNECT Edition products. To register a new project select the +Register Project link on the upper left of the Project Chooser window.
- Managing User Rights:User rights in an organization are administered by the site administer in your company. This is typically the main contact for your company at Bentley. This user can assign you Project Manager Rights through the User Management Portal https://ims.bentley.com/usermanagement. Select the Manage button on the top of the Project Portal screen and search for a user.
Associate a Project to your Work
The last remaining critical step to reap the benefits of CONNECT is the step of associating the project files with a specific CONNECTED Project. If you are signed in all Products will automatically display the Project Chooser when you start a new model or open a pre-CONNECT version of a project. The Project Chooser is also accessible from the Bentley Cloud Services menu command in these products.
Simply select a project to be associated with your work. See the Project Chooser documentation for more details on the various capabilities of this window. All use of this file in the current product will now be associated with this CONNECTED Project.