About Deployment Image
The deployment image is created by the system administrators for installing the application with the same installation configuration on multiple machines. The installation configuration includes the installation location, features, shortcuts, and so on. Once created, you will be able to double-click Setup.exe available in the deployment image to install the application with the set configuration without the need of any user interaction or internet connection for component downloads. The deployment image folder can also be moved to a shared location so that all users of the organization can directly execute the installation from there; the administrator can use this shared location in the Software Distribution System for installation of the product.
The deployment image can be shared in the network as a UNC path or pushed using SMS/SCCM.
Advantages of Using a Deployment Image
Conceptually, the deployment image can be considered as a pre-configured offline installer. Following are the advantages of using a deployment image:
- Internet connection is not required.
- Separate pre-requisite pack or set of packages before installing product are not required.
- The installation location can be decided and set in deployment image. Once defined, the product will be installed at the same location on all the machines.
- The components to be installed are preselected at the time of creating deployment image. This results in all machines having exactly same set of installations.
Contents of Deployment Image
The deployment image contains all the files that are packaged with the product as well as the downloadable files. The image does not analyze the system on which it is created. It simply saves all the components for installation. The deployment image also saves the installation configuration.
Before You Start
Using non-root drive - If the installation drive set in the deployment image configuration settings is other than the root directory (usually c:\), make sure that the drive exists on the machine on which the application is to be installed.
The deployment settings are displayed when you run the setup in /layout mode. Following deployment image settings are displayed in the OpenCities Map Installation Wizard.
- Full UI Mode - Displays all installer windows when you install using the deployment image.
- Passive UI Mode - Installs the application in passive mode from the deployment image. In this mode, the installation wizard and the progress dialog are displayed but the installation takes place automatically. The installer takes the options selected while creating the deployment image and you cannot select any options in this mode.
- No UI Mode - Installs the application in silent mode.
- Deployment Image Location - Clicking the Change button next to the deployment image location path opens the Browse For Folder dialog for selecting the folder path where you want to save the deployment image.