An item type is a user defined set of properties used to describe an object or element. You can create item types and manage them using DGNLibs. Using the Attach Item tool, you can create items based on your item types and attach them to objects or elements within a DGN file. Once attached, the properties of an item display in the Properties dialog along with the other properties of the object or element.
- Items can be attached to a model within a cell library; every time that model is placed as a cell, the attached items are copied to the new cell.
- Items can be attached to an element template; every time the element template is used, a copy of the template's items are attached to the new element.
- The properties in item types can be used to label, report, or change the display of the elements or objects.
- Door schedules and signage reports are some of the real world examples where item types can be used.
The following tools are added to support item types:
- Attach Item - Allows you to attach an item to an element.
- Detach Item - Allows you to detach an item from an element.
The Item Types dialog allows you to create and manage item types.